As a lover of Indian foods here is a simple and easy recipe for Uthappam or Pancakes – Indian Style. This is a healthy breakfast food born in the south of India that has grown in popularity among foodies throughout the world. Alongside Dosa and Vada, Uthappam is a popular street food sold from food trucks and carts in cities all across India.
- Idli Mix or Dosa Mix (you can make it from scratch or you can buy the mix from any Indian store) – 2 cups
- Onion – 1 medium – finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- Bell Pepper – 1 finely chopped – 1/2 cup
- Tomato – 1 finely chopped – 1/3 cup
- Green Chillies – 2-3 finely chopped
- Oil for pan frying
- Salt to taste
- First prepare the batter following instructions for the Idli or Dosa mix from the Indian store. Or you can prepare a homemade idli batter from scratch by following recipe here
- Add salt to the mix (if you haven’t added it to the homemade batter before fermenting). Add water as needed.
- Mix well. Batter should be about the same consistency as regular pancake mix – thicker than regular dosa mix batter and slightly more runny than idli mix batter.
- Next, heat a cast iron griddle or Tava (you can buy a dosa Tava at any Indian store) or a regular non-stick griddle – on medium high.
- Sprinkle a few drops of oil on the preheated Tava and spread the oil onto the whole tawa/griddle using a halved potato or a small onion cut in half. This helps to spread the batter evenly while preventing it from sticking.
- Repeat this prior to ladling out the batter for each Uthappam.
- Next, pour a ladle of batter on the griddle/tava and spread it in a circle by gently rotating the ladle in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped onion and 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped bell pepper on top of the Uthappam/pancake .
- Next, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of finely chopped tomato and add some finely chopped green chillies on top.
- Gently press down the veggies with a spatula.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil around the edges.
- Cook for approx 2-3 minutes until the bottom turns a light golden brown.
- Flip it gently with the spatula and cook other side for a minute or until the bottom of the pancake looks done.
- Transfer the Uthappam to a serving platter.
- Repeat steps 5 through 14 using the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or tomato onion chutney
Hope you enjoy this healthy recipe for Uthappam or Pancakes – Indian Style. You can find my other recipes here. Keep the comments coming! We love your feedback.
Tips and Tricks –
- Using a cast iron Tava is recommended so as to have the Uthappam turn out a nice golden color.
- The batter should not be spread very thin as otherwise, the veggies will not cook evenly within the batter.
- If you prefer your Uthappam thick and fluffy, cover it with a lid while it is cooking. It will speed up the process